This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. You can view Cambridge Road on Google Maps.
This is a road of mixed development on the north side of the High Street. In 1862 the Manor of Teddington was sold. The manor house was set back off Twickenham Road opposite St Mary's Church and the gardens and orchards stretched away to Watts Lane. A new road was proposed in the sale plan cutting across this land leaving The King's Head on the west corner. The road is shown on the 1863/64 OS map but there are no houses.
There is still little development by 1893. The land to the east is still part of the grounds of the manor house up to Manor Road. Some houses are on the west side of the road. Some buildings are shown right on the corner of Cambridge Road and the High Street which may have been stables connected with the pub.The first building behind the pub has a large garden to the side which was in 1978 the yard for a removals firm. In 2014, nos. 1 & 3 Cambridge Road are on this site, and the open space behind is the car park for Marks & Spencer. The main access to the car park is through an alleyway off the High Street, but there is a pedestrian entrance on Cambridge Road.
The properties in this road designated by the Council on their website as Buildings of Townscape Merit are: