Ferry Road, "St Mary's Church"
Road: Ferry Road
Property: St Mary's Church
St Mary's Church is the old parish church of Teddington, part of which dates from the 16th century. It is grade II* listed (an early listing dating from 1952). Much of the church is 18th century, including the battlemented tower of brown brick, with 19th century additions - the chancel and vestry. The oldest part of the church is the red brick south aisle where, externally, Tudor brickwork with blue diaper work is visible. The east window has 3-lights and is perpendicular style. The tower used to be surmounted by a cupola.
St Mary's was the local parish church until 1889 when it had become too small and was closed and replaced by the new St Alban's Church – opposite; it was rededicated as a church in 1938 and returned to being the parish church (now St Mary with St Alban) in 1979.
The church's website gives a fuller history: https://www.teddingtonparish.org/about-us/history/.
The Historic England weblink is at:
© Historic England 1952. The National Heritage List for England entry contained in this material was obtained on 15/7/13. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Entries can be obtained from www.historicengland.org.uk
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.