The Grove 15-29
Road: The Grove
THE GROVE ESTATE comprises The Grove, Grove Terrace and Grove Gardens surrounding a small park called Grove Gardens, built on the site of the 18th Century house called The Grove. The house was demolished in 1920 and the land was acquired by Royal Dutch Shell Oil Co. who erected The Grove and Grove Terrace using Dutch architecture and built by Gazes Ltd. The company later sold the park to Twickenham Borough Council and the rest of the estate to private owners.
The Grove Estate also included nos. 58-84 Cambridge Road, then nos. 1-14 Grove Estate. The Grove excluding nos. 30-45 is covered by Conservation Area No. 26, together with Grove Terrace and Grove Gardens.
The report above was written in ?1989 by Mrs Eileen Pilborough.
According to Shell's Development company, St Helen's Housing Company Ltd, written April 13th 1921, "The Lensbury Club boathouse immediately adjoins (the Estate), and access thereto can be obtained from the Estate, by means of a tunnel under Twickenham Road." We are unclear where this tunnel now is.
Nos. 15-29 Terraces in continental Dutch Cottage style, with open plan front gardens. Mentioned in Kelly's Directory 1923.
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.