Stanley Road School War Memorial
Road: Stanley Road
Property: "Stanley Road School War Memorial"
The Heritage England entry for the memorial is:-
‘War memorial, unveiled 1920, in the form of a Portland stone pillar set on a plinth.
Reasons for Designation Stanley School War Memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the school, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War; * Design: as a poignant and imposing Portland stone pillar war memorial.
History The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. This was the result of both the huge impact on communities of the loss of three quarters of a million British lives, and also the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
One such memorial was raised at Stanley School in Teddington as a permanent testament to the sacrifices made by pupils and Old Boys of the School. The idea of a memorial began to be discussed in February 1917; eventually a memorial was designed by Captain WT Curtis, Architect with Middlesex County Council, and executed by Messrs. Keates and Co. at a cost of £100. It was unveiled on 27 October 1920 in a ceremony attended by Headmaster GH Orton, Reverend Jackson Bush and many of the parents of the Fallen. The names on the memorial were re-engraved in the early 2000s.
Details Tall, octagonal Portland stone pillar with a rounded finial, resting on a Portland stone plinth; near the top of the shaft is a band of X’s, and to the bottom a band of lozenges. The front face of the plinth is inscribed: TO THE OLD BOYS OF THIS SCHOOL / WHO ON THE THRESHOLD OF MANHOOD / GAVE THEIR LIVES / IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 - 1919 / LEAVING A GLORIOUS MEMORY AND AN / UNDYING EXAMPLE / THEY 'PLAYED THE GAME' TO THE END. The right and left faces bear the names of the Fallen. The plinth rests on a stone base.’
The link to the entry is:
© Historic England 2017. The National Heritage List for England entry contained in this material was obtained on 23/7/17. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Entries can be obtained from www.historicengland.org.uk
The names on the Stanley School War memorial are listed at WW1 War Memorial of Teddington Council School
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.