High Street 165
Road: High Street, Teddington
Listed grade II (1952)
This is the middle house (at the western end) of a terrace of three double fronted cottages often known as Peg Woffington Cottages, although the plaque with the date 1759 and the legend Peg Woffington Cottage is between nos. 165 and 167. Peg Woffington was an Irish actress who may have lived here (at nos. 165-167); she died in 1760 and was buried in St. Mary's Church. The cottages became derelict in the early 20th century when the tramway was built along the High Street and these, along with a number of other houses, lost a part of their front gardens. Demolition was suggested but this idea caused much controversy and the cottages were saved.
The listing description for all three houses (contradicting the mid-18th century date on the plaque) is:
'Early C18 terrace. 2-storeys and attic. Each 4 windows wide with 2 dormers. Tiled roof with eaves. Brick built with first floor band course. No. 165/7 known as "Peg Woffington Cottage" with plaque bearing date 1759. Two-light, flush framed casement windows. Segmental heads to ground floor.'
The detailed Historic England entry can be found at:
© Historic England 1952. The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on 15/7/13. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from http://www.historicengland.org.uk'
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.