Field Lane 40-52

From Tedsoc Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
40-52 Field Lane

Road: Field Lane

Property: 40-52

Nos. 40 to 52: A terrace of seven houses said to have been built about 1860/70 for R.D. Blackmore's farm workers, similar to those at 1-15 Blackmore's Grove. However, there is no proof that Blackmore built them, though census returns reveal some gardeners were occupiers. These Field Lane houses have back gardens which look on to a service pathway on the other side of which are the back gardens of the similar houses in Blackmore's Grove. The houses have the same high roof line sloping sharply down at the rear, but have no front door porches and a very short front garden. They are 2-storey brick, sash windows, one to each floor.

Exceptions: No. 40 is painted brick. No. 52, which was a shop at one time, is plastered and has new windows. No. 50 has a new front door with glass panels. No. 48 has new windows quite out of keeping with the rest. The flank wall of no. 52 is not at right angles to the road, similar to no. 15 Blackmore's Grove, its opposite number, suggesting the shape of the original site.


This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.