Ferry Road, "St Alban's Church"
Road: Ferry Road
Property: St Alban's Church
Former St Alban's Church, Ferry Road, now the Landmark Arts Centre.
The listing description is:
"1886. William Niven. Lofty stone church with green copper roof in Early English style. West end incomplete (no tower). Apsidal east end. Small side aisles and transepts. Tall 4-light decorated windows to clerestory. Flying buttresses to nave are incomplete indicating their lack of structural necessity."
From the Landmark Centre:-
Grade II* listed, this vast French Gothic style church building was never finished – witness the west end which looms, to some extent, over the east end of Teddington High Street. A tower should have completed the design. Known by some, perhaps rather grandly, as the 'cathedral of the Thames valley' it was built in late Victorian times - 1887-89 - to replace the smaller St Mary's Church opposite, but fell into disuse and disrepair in the 1970s. Pevsner – in the 'Buildings of England' – describes it as 'bewildering'; in its size, with tall clerestory, flying buttresses, vaulted chancel, all of ashlar stone, 'very high and very correct'.
The building was rescued and became the appropriately named Landmark Arts Centre in the 1995. See this link to their own website:
The following link takes you to the full entry for this building on Historic England's website: http://list.historicengland.org.uk/resultsingle.aspx?uid=1080819
© Historic England 1952. The National Heritage List for England entry contained in this material was obtained on 30/9/13. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Entries can be obtained from www.historicengland.org.uk
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.