The Cedars 1-19
Road: The Cedars
The Cedars development took place on the former formal gardens of the Clarence Hotel. It is situated at the junction between Park Road, Teddington and Adelaide Road and is part of the Conservation Area No. 22 (1976). The scheme was designed in 1958 by Eric Lyons on behalf of Span Developments. Span's ethos was to provide modernist design with generous landscaping in their developments and resident associations. Eric Lyons used light weight materials ahead of the general trend and there are a number of these Span developments in the area. At The Cedars there are 19 2-storey houses arranged on three sides of a square around a landscaped garden which includes three of the former garden's existing cedar trees. Features of the houses include open plan interiors and large windows. Stock brick was employed and hung tiles. There are garages built behind the houses with an entrance off Adelaide Road.
NB The Local Authority has retained the plans PLA/01554, reference date 5/2/1956 for nos. 1-24. It would appear that further plans were submitted though these do not survive as only 19 houses were actually built.
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.