Shacklegate Lane, "Teddington Cemetery Chapel"
Road: Shacklegate Lane
Property: Teddington Cemetery Chapel
(Actually) "2 chapels in random rubble stone with tiled roof and a high wooden gable over the common entrance." TeddSoc 1975.
‘PRINCIPAL BUILDING The two chapels stand c 70m north of the main entrance along the main drive. The chapels, designed by T Goodchild in the Decorated style, have crocketed spires and are connected by a large entrance arch. Built in 1878 of honey-coloured Bargate ragstone with Bathstone dressings, the chapels were consecrated in 1879. The western chapel was originally nominated for Anglican use, while the eastern chapel was for Nonconformists.
In 1970 the two Victorian steeples of the chapels were in danger of falling down; after a long debate the spires were eventually restored.’
© Historic England 2017. The National Heritage List for England entry contained in this material was obtained on 29/8/17. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Entries can be obtained from www.historicengland.org.uk
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.