Park Road 35-55

From Tedsoc Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search
37-55 Park Road
35 Park Road, "Hughenden House" 1970s
51 Park Road, "Adelaide Cottage"
53-55 Park Road, "Carlton Villas" 1970s
from 55 Park Road northwards

Road: Park Road, Teddington

Property: 35-55

No. 35: Hughenden House, a 2-storey yellow brick house with slate roof. The front door opens directly onto the pavement. On the ground floor there are bay windows. All windows are sash. Shown on the 1863 O.S. map. Currently houses a large dental practice. Preservation Order October 1973.

No. 37: A corner house, the side of which is in Adelaide Road. Originally, together with no. 39 to which it is attached, known as Park Villas (as they appear in the 1871 census return) and so inscribed on small central plaque, with the year 1859. This house – no. 1 Park Villas – is of yellow brick with slate roof and sash windows. Has ornamental corbels; and brackets under roofline. Extensive additions have been made at side and rear of house which has been a doctors' surgery for some 40 years. Small front garden. Residents: Mr. Martin, 1866; Miss Jones, 1869; Isaac Coalbank, M.R.C.S., L.S.A., general practitioner, and his uncle James Coalbank, E. India, China and Colonial Merchant, 1871; Samuel B.K. Johnson, retired builder, 1881; Eliza Johnson, widow, 1891; Sidney Hartley, 1894-5. Mrs. Baker-Smith, dressmaker, 1898-99, 1907; Mrs. North, 1917.

No. 39: Attached to no. 37, and built, according to central plaque, in 1859. 2-storey house with slate roof and sash windows. Has ornamental corbels; and brackets under roofline. Building at back of house taken down c. early 1980s and large flat-roofed room built at rear adjoining house. Car port in driveway, 1970s, 1990s, since demolished. Large magnolia tree in back garden; silver birch and box elder trees in small garden at front. Residents: the Misses Bulley, 1866-69, 1873; Caroline Mary (d. 1879) and her sister Amelia S. Bulley, 1871; Edgell E. Westmacott who worked in Fire Insurance and his wife Marian, 1881; Robert Farthing, colonial merchant, and his wife Sarah Helen, 1891; J.N. Cutts, D.D.S., 1894-5; W.J. Cheyney, 1898-99; William Wilkes, whisky traveller, and his wife Alice, 1901; William James Wilkes 1907.

No. 41: Bushy Cottage, 2-storey detached house of yellow brick with slate roof and sash windows. Built, according to plaque on front of house, in 1861. 1979, 2-storeys at rear rebuilt, front rendering renewed; garden brick wall extended at rear. Decorative brackets under roofline and semi-circular fanlight over front door. Small front garden. Residents: Mr. Edwards 1864 (d. 1866); Sophia Edwards, widow, professor of music and organist, and her daughters Josephine and Louisa, daily governesses, 1871; Mrs. Edwards, still there in 1873; Ellen Mary Dixon, 1891; Mrs. Dixon, 1890-91; Miss White, 1898-99, 1894-5. Susannah and Henrietta White, 1901; William Haine, photographer, 1911. Place; Sharman.

No. 43: Park Cottage. Yellow brick 2-storey detached house with slate roof and sash windows built according to plaque on front of house, in 1859. 2-story brick extension built at rear in 1900s. Small front garden. Residents: Mrs. Bennet, 1866-68; Elizabeth Bennett, widow, (income from houses) 1871, 1881; Elizabeth Jacques, 1891; Frederick Charles Chinery, 1894-5; Alfred J. Last, 1898-99, chemist and druggist, 1901; Percival Harry Upton, photographer, 1908; D.H. Davy, 1980s.

No. 45: Originally, together with no. 47, to which it is attached, known as no. 1 Adelaide Villas. 2-story building of yellow brick with slate roof and sash windows. Small front garden. Shown on 1863 O.S. map. Conservatory added at rear. Residents: James Jostie, schoolmaster, 1881; Sydney Henry Stevens, 1898-99; Robert Hind(e), attendant at royal palace, 1901; 1907.

No. 47: Originally, together with no. 45, to which it is attached, known as no. 2 Adelaide Villas. 2-story building of yellow brick with slate roof and sash windows. Small front garden. Shown on 1863 O.S. map. Residents: John Dunkley, builder, and his wife Matilda, 1871; David Hall, 1891, 1898-99; as bus conductor, with wife Maria, 1901; 1907.

No. 49: Wistaria/Wisteria Villa or Cottage, now Beville Cottage. 2-story detached house of yellow brick with slate roof and sash windows. Small front garden. Shown on 1863 O.S. map. Decorative fanlight over door. Residents: H. Remington, 1866; Mrs. Warde, 1869; Louisa Harrap, 1891; Mrs Tilbury, 1890-9; Mrs. Harris(s), 1894-5; 1898-99; Louisa Harriss, widow, 1901; 1907.

No. 51: Adelaide Cottage. Plaque is inscribed with this name. Built 1861. 2-story detached house of yellow brick with slate roof and sash windows to the upper floor. The house has been modernised and downstairs there is a bow window. Small front garden. Residents: R.J. Herries, 1873; Mrs. Deeley, 1881, 1898-99; Elizabeth Mary Deeley, widow, 1901; 1917 (d.1928); later owners: Joan Margaret Dreyfus, 1955; Isabel Matilda Gurney, 1953; Keith John McDonald, 1957; David Ashley Fogden and Patricia Anne Fogden, 1976.

No. 53: Originally, together with no. 55 to which it is attached, known as Carlton Villas and so inscribed, without date, on small central plaque, this house being no. 1 Carlton Villas. Victorian house of 2-storeys plus attic rooms with dormer windows, with slate roofs and sash windows. Keystone over each window and porch bears a man's head which seems to be that of Prince Albert. Small front garden. Shown on 1863 O.S. map. 2-story additions made at rear c. 2004. Residents: R.S. Meikelham, 1866-68; Miss Thomas, 1869; Mary J. Thomas and Elizabeth Willson, 1871; Mary J. Thomas, 1881; William Edward Smith, 1890-91; Herbert Ferdinand Friderichs, A.M.I.C.E., 1894; William Haslett, 1907.

No. 55: Originally, together with no. 53 to which it is attached, known as Carlton Villas and so inscribed, without date, on small central plaque, this house being no. 2 Carlton Villas. Victorian house of 2-storeys plus attic rooms with dormer windows, with slate roofs and sash windows. Keystone over each window and porch bears a man's head which seems to be that of Prince Albert. Small front garden. Shown on 1863 O.S. map. Residents: Mrs Riminton, milliner and dressmaker, 1866; Elizabeth Riminton, lodging house keeper, 1871, house keeper, 1881; John Edger, bank clerk, 1881; Louisa Bailey, dressmaker, 1891; Miss Bailey, 1894-95; Charles Whaites, 1907.


This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.