Park Road 22, "The Elms"
Road: Park Road, Teddington
Property: 22, "The Elms"
Listed Grade II (1952).
There appears to have been a small cottage here before the fine early Georgian frontage was built onto the original building. The front elevation has the rather distinctive 'blind' half-window panels at each end and, curiously, the first floor windows are of 2 different heights - the 3 right hand ones may be of a later date. The brick parapet has most probably been re-built as its brick differs from those of the rest of the elevation, and the slate roof is also later.
The Census of 1881(ref. RG11/842/75/5) - shows that the house was occupied by George Peaty - a manager in the meat trade - and his brother Robert, a Bank of England Clerk. In 1891 (ref.RG12/617/122/8) the house was occupied by Douglas and Ernest Eskell - both auctioneers - and their sister Annie; the brothers were aged 23 and 24 and both described as sons but the head of the household wouid appear to have not been present at the time of the census. This house is said to date from the early-to-mid 18th C. but there are no entries for the censuses of 1841-1871
The listing description is: "Early to mid C18, 2-storeys, 5 windows wide. Red brick with paler dressings. Central doorway with hood. Doric doorcase of circa 1720. Parapet. Cornice. Flush framed sash windows with glazing bars."
The Historic England weblink is at:
© Historic England 1952. The National Heritage List for England entry contained in this material was obtained on 15/7/13. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Entries can be obtained from www.historicengland.org.uk
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.