Park Road 14, "Clarence House"
Road: Park Road, Teddington
Property: 14, "Clarence House"
Grade II listed in 2006
The listing description is as follows:
(The right-hand house of a) "Pair of semi-detached houses of different build. Early-mid C19. No. 14 may be a remodelling of an earlier house of 1728. No. 16 is thought to have been built in 1835. C19 extensions to rear. Rear elevations altered late C19.
MATERIALS: Stock brick in Flemish bond, façades and return to no. 14 stuccoed. Extensions to rear in red brick. Late C19 tile-hanging to rear second-floor elevations. Slate roofs.
PLAN: 3-storeys and two bays. Plan of main house rectangular, comprising entrance hall with stair to rear, front and back room to each floor. EXTERIOR: Shallow porch to left bay carried on pair of Doric columns. Mid C19 Gothic door with glazed panels. Large curved bay window with three sashes divided by pilasters. Moulded architraves to windows. Six-over-six pane sashes. Sun Insurance plaque on first floor. Parapet with moulded cornice. Hipped roof. Later windows on ground and first floor of side elevation. Rear elevation has tripartite sash windows. INTERIOR: The ground floor front room has a curved corner on return to rear hall. The hall and first-floor landing have plaster modillion cornice. The stair rises, in two separate flights, and has slender turned newels, stick balusters and mahogany handrail. The interior retains early-mid C19 joinery, including door and window architraves, shutters, skirtings, with some later C19 and C20 replacements. There is very little visible evidence of early C18 fabric, although a section of full-height panelling in the second-floor rear room may be of this period.
HISTORY: The houses occupy the site of a pair of cottages, possibly of C17 or earlier date. No. 14 is thought to have been built on the site of the northern cottage in 1728. In 1834 the cottage to the south was sold, and a new house built on the site the following year, believed to be no. 16 Park Road. It is possible that the remodelling of no. 14 took place c. 1842, when the two properties were in one ownership.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Of special interest as pair of early-mid C19 neo-classical houses which retain their essential plan form, staircases and a number of original features. No. 14 may contain earlier fabric from an C18 house. They are important survivals of the elegant houses built throughout the Georgian period when Teddington, like neighbouring Twickenham and Richmond, was an affluent, semi-rural retreat from London."
The Historic England weblink is at:
© Historic England 2006. The National Heritage List Text Entries contained in this material were obtained on 10/7/13. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Text Entries can be obtained from http://www.historicengland.org.uk
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.