High Street, "Elmfield House"
Road: High Street, Teddington
Property: "Elmfield House"
Grade II listed (in 1952)
Elmfield House is one of the oldest houses still standing in Teddington, thought to date from the 1720s. It used to have a front garden with boundary walls, iron railings and gates, and substantial gate piers until 1927 when they were all lost to road widening. For many years the house was used as local council offices until 2007 when it was sold off by Richmond Council. It is now in mixed use – flats and a dental practice.
The listing description includes the following details: C18 house. Brown brick, red dressings. 3-storeys, with 2½:1:2½ bays on the front elevation, with the centre slightly projecting and a (blind) ½ window panel at either end. Brick parapet and a small brick cornice above each floor. C18 windows in moulded frames. Later Greek Doric porch in the centre of front elevation. Left side shows late C17 or early C18 work in plum brick and has 2-storey wing of this date with ground floor (partly modern) built out flush with front. Back elevation as front, but with half window inserted on either side of centre, which has an enlarged round-headed window on first floor and round window on second floor. Later splayed bay on right. There is a late C17-early C18 plain brick garden wall running back to right of the street front. One room contains painted plasterwork of late C17 or C18.
The detailed Historic England entry can be found at:
© Historic England 1952. The National Heritage List for England entry contained in this material was obtained on 3/4/13. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Entries can be obtained from www.historicengland.org.uk
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.