Fishbourne, Charles E

From Tedsoc Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Charles Eustace Fishbourne

Son of Revd. Edward Alexander Fishbourne (1841-1929) and Harriet Fishbourne née Crawley (1851-1929)

Spouse of Mary Elizabeth Fishbourne née Holland (later Tapper) of Overstrand Mansions, Prince of Wales Drive, Battersea, Surrey

Born 15th January 1885 at Llandyssil, Powys, Wales

Educated at St George’s School, Windsor, Berkshire and at Malvern College, Worcestershire.

After passing out at the Royal Military Academy in Woolwich in 1905 he obtained a commission with the Royal Engineers. In 1907, he went to Africa to undertake survey work in Uganda for the Colonial Office and near the end of his trip he met Winston Churchill, who was then Colonial Secretary, and through this friendship was nominated for a post with the newly formed London Traffic Branch of the Board of Trade.

He married Miss Mary Elizabeth Holland on 8th June 1911 at Conway, North Wales and in that year he was appointed Assistant General Manager with the London General Omnibus Company (LGOC) which operated bus services from Hammersmith Garage - mainly on the north side of the River Thames. Around this time he became a member of Fulwell Golf Club at Fulwell near Teddington, Middlesex.

Upon the outbreak of war, C.E. Fishbourne was sent to the Western Front with the Royal Engineers. He was wounded on 18th November 1914 by a shell explosion in Ploegsteert in Flanders. Though his wounds were not life-threatening, he was sent home to recover and was promoted to Captain and as Adjutant of the Royal Engineers Reserve at Chatham in Kent. However, he then contracted ‘Spotted Fever’ (Meningococcal Meningitis) whilst staying at Chatham Barracks and he died of the disease on 10th June 1915 at Field House, Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire, aged 30 years.

He was buried at All Saints Church, Gresford, Wrexham, Wales and accorded full military honours. His grave was later marked with a Commonwealth War Graves Commission headstone.

(See: Find A Grave Memorial #178675505)

His name is inscribed on the War Memorial Window about the north door of St George’s Chapel, Windsor.

Listed on the Malvern College First World War WW1 Roll of Honour

Listed on Fulwell Golf Club War Memorial



This page is part of the Online WW1 War Memorial for Teddington developed by the History Group of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Please send any corrections or additional information by email to David Neller at DaveNeller@aol.com. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor. Click to return to the Home page for the Online WW1 War Memorial for Teddington.