Ferry Road, "Teddington Footbridge"
Road: Ferry Road
Property: "Teddington Footbridge"
Grade II listed (2005)
Suspension and girder footbridge across the River Thames and Lock Cut. Built circa 1888 in steel and concrete by George Pooley, engineer, and Messrs Goddard and Massey of Nottingham (contractors). Designer of the girder bridge unknown but it is assumed that it and the suspension bridge were built together.
Single span suspension bridge with two pairs of steel towers surmounted by delicate finials. The towers are now encased in polygonal concrete piers. Steel suspension cables. Sectional riveted girder construction with cross ties. Timber boarded walkway approach to south on concrete and timber stilts with iron railings. Modern timber walkway to north is not of special interest. Asphalt surface to bridge and southern approach ramp.
Single span footbridge of riveted sectional girder construction with cross ties. Partly rendered concrete piers; that on the south of the bridge incorporates a brick arch to allow pedestrian access beneath. Moulded stone coping stones to south pier. Asphalt surface to bridge. Steps down to tow path to north-west with iron hand rails.
HISTORY: The bridge was built in the late C19 to replace the former ferry crossing operating between Teddington to the south and Ham to the north across the River Thames. The suspension bridge is of 1888 linking Teddington to Creweyte or Swan Ait island, located between the River Thames proper and the Lock Cut; a navigational improvement constructed in 1811-12.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Teddington Footbridge is significant as a functional yet attractive and relatively intact transport structure in two parts, of circa 1888 date.
The following link takes you to the full entry for this building on Historic England's website:
© Historic England 2005. The National Heritage List for England entry contained in this material was obtained on 16/6/13. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Entries can be obtained from www.historicengland.org.uk
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.