Albert Road 5, "Alma Cottage"
Road: Albert Road, Teddington
Property: 5, "Alma Cottage"
Listed as a building of architectural or historic interest in 1973, this small stucco'd 2-storey villa (much extended later) dates from 1854. It has a low-pitch hipped roof and the front façade is defined by full height pilasters at the corners. The windows have moulded architraves and the ground floor ones at the front have bracketed cornices above them; the front windows also have unusual and decorative retractable awnings.
The development of this house and others in this section of the Park Road Conservation Area is of interest as their plots were laid out by the National Freehold Land Society who bought land here in 1852. Their aim was to make it easier for working and middle class people to acquire freehold property so as to remove an obstacle to male enfranchisement. Alma Cottage was built on 4 plots acquired by a Thomas Francis Heath, a gardener – hence the larger garden perhaps. This explains the "T.F.H. 1854" inscription set in a stone block still visible on the front boundary wall.
The following link takes you to the full entry for this building on Historic England's website:
© Historic England 1973. The National Heritage List for England entry contained in this material was obtained on 12/5/13. The most publicly available up to date National Heritage List Entries can be obtained from www.historicengland.org.uk
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.