Queen's Road, Teddington
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. You can view Queen's Road, Teddington on Google Maps.
On the 1863/4 Ordnance Survey map, Queen's Road ran westward from Park Road as far as Park Lane. Here the road ceased. There were no houses on this stretch of the road, except for one house called North Lodge (now no. 1 Admiralty Way and Grade II listed). At that time Queen's Road lay in the parish of Hampton. The road between Park Lane and Broad Street would have been put through some time after the manor was sold about 1862 and looked much as it does today. By the time of the 1871 census there are several entries for the residents in the road although it is not known precisely when the houses were built. The 1894 Ordnance Survey Map shows houses on both sides of the road between Broad Street and Little Queens Road and three houses near Park Lane.
The Teddington Society Survey in the 1970s gave the following description of the road. "Queen's Road runs from the junction of Broad Street and the Hampton Road to Park Road. The oldest buildings are at the Broad Street end and they become progressively more modern towards the Park Road end. The greater part of the South West side of the road is taken up by the National Physical Laboratory."
Part of the land used by the National Physical Laboratory at the Park Road end is now a modern gated residential development known as Admiralty Way recalling the work done by the Admiralty Research Laboratory. Queen's Road is now a very busy thoroughfare, narrow in places with an entrance to the National Physical Laboratory opposite Park Lane. In the 1970s there had been some small shops at the Broad Street end, but they are no longer there.
The houses listed below have not increased in value in line with other houses in the Borough. The conversion and upgrading generally is of poor quality. Overall, however, the houses retain a late Victorian flavour when considered as a whole.
The properties in this road designated by the Council on their website as Buildings of Townscape Merit are:
There are Grade II Listed Buildings in this road as follows: