Waldegrave Road 82
Road: Waldegrave Road
This house was originally called Holmwood and was occupied from 1907 to 1911 by the mountaineer, Edward Whymper, the first man to climb the Matterhorn in 1865. Four members of his party died on the descent and there was controversy at the time as people thought he could have done more to help them. Whymper only lived in Holmwood at the end of his life. He had a studio extension built at the back of the house in 1909. The house is now The Waldegrave Clinic and there is no sign of the name of Holmwood. There is a Blue Plaque on the house.
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.