Victoria Road 1-3, "The Railway"
Property: 3, "The Railway"
The Railway was built in 1867 as The Railway Refreshment Rooms. It is situated on the East side of the road close to the station. In the 1970s it was known as the Railway Hotel; in the recent past was re-named The Bloated Mallard and now retains its connection with the railway. It is built on a triangular site and faces North with the road on one side where it is connected to a row of Victorian cottages and a public footpath on the other, running alongside the railway.
The 1970s Teddington Society Survey by Miss J. Hilton described the building "with the main entrance facing the station. This frontage is built on a curve. It is built of red brick", the ground floor painted a blue grey shade (it had been red in the 1970s). The front elevation has an ornamental brick cornice under the roof and another between the ground and first floors together with a simple ornamental brick parapet with valley gutter behind. The roof is slate and there is a prominent metal clad ventilator with adjustable louvres to the first floor. There are arched ornamental windows, two on either side of the main door, and the rest are plain sash windows. There is a small sitting-out area which bounds the footpath.
The 1860s photo shows the Licensee John Pain at the front door. He was born in Teddington, remembered the visit of Garibaldi to Elmfield House in 1863, worked at the candle factory, took over the hotel & later became a JP. On the right hand side of the picture can be seen his horse-drawn bus in which he would take his customers to Hampton Court.
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.