Vicarage Road 2-4
Nos. 2-4 is the old vicarage built in 1837. Before that time the vicar had to find his own house. Part of the vicarage was demolished in 1881 when land was sold to make way for Vicarage Road and the houses along it. A dairy used to be on the other corner of Vicarage Road and in the early part of the 20th century cows were kept behind the shop. This information comes from A Walk in Teddington by Paddy Ching.
In the 1975 TeddSoc Survey, nos. 2-4 Vicarage Road was described as "Georgian House now in business use. Old stained glass windows in side doors."
In 2014, the building is part of the adjacent premises in the High Street occupied by Milestone Estate Agents. Its appearance has been much altered, the door is no longer in use and the window above it contains only two small panels of stained glass.
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.