Twickenham Road 37-49
These consist of a terrace of 7 stately Victorian houses built soon after the sale of the Manor as they are noted as occupied at the time of the 1871 census and were known as Montpelier Terrace, though sometime after the Teddington Survey were renamed Riverside Terrace. They are 4-storey, brick built houses including semi basements which are stone rendered, highly ornamented.
They have sash windows to basement, ground and 1st floor with rendered arches and reveals while the 2nd floor dormer windows have pediments and are casement. There is a cornice which extends the length of the terrace much of which has weathered and not been restored. The houses have rendered balustrades and steps to arched front doors. Some have ornamental window arches with masques, some without and some have restored stucco work to varying degrees of accuracy, some have ornamental ironwork to ground floor windows. There is a private road running along the front of the houses used for parking with access from Manor Road and a footpath for public access. Many of the houses are now divided into flats.
There is a planning application in the Borough's collection of plans with regard to no. 49 for conversion into 4 flats, dated 15 May, 1933, the Architect N.V. Coupland, (ref. PLA/10178).
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.