Manor Road 25-45
Road: Manor Road
Nos. 25-29: These 3 houses are detached double fronted 3-storey buildings, ground floor of brick, 1st floor rough cast, under tiled roof with a central porch and small pane casement windows. No. 25 looks original and has a balcony above the porch. The houses appear to have been built about 1898 as there are plans in the Borough collection (ref: PLA/06085 dated 4 February, 1898), the architect H. Gordon and the builder Robert Pryde. No. 27 has an extended balcony. No. 29 also has an extended balcony and, in addition, has a very large 2-storey side extension together with a back addition
31-45: These consist of 4 pairs of mirrored semi-detached 2-storey houses of stock brick with some ornamental brickwork under slate roofs with ornamental gable ends over the bay windows. The ground floor sash windows have stone arches and stone cills with red brickwork. They all have a central porch with ornamental supports. (These are similar to houses in Cambridge Road.) The Teddington Society Survey of the 1970s believed the houses were built about 1899.
2 current owners in Manor Road write "We were largely responsible for getting the south side of Manor Road designated as Buildings of Townscape Merit a few years ago. Concerned about the developments in St Alban's Gardens, we petitioned the Council to try to get the whole area listed ie bounded by Cambridge Road (East side), High Street (North side) Twickenham Road (West side) & Manor Road (South side), and enclosing St Alban's Gardens but succeeded only with Cambridge Road & Manor Road, although of course the Voysey houses in Twickenham Road and some houses in the High Street are also listed as BTMs. When we first came here in 1976 there were horses in paddocks in St Alban's Gardens! We have photographs of the garden of our house in the 1930s showing the original very ornate railings to the front. Also we have a picture of the tennis court of our house which occupied the 2 plots in St Alban's Gardens backing on to our house where now 2 five-bedroom houses have been erected. Our house was originally known as Herne Villa."
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.