Clarence Road 23, "Craig Hall"
Property: 23, "Craig Hall"
Craig Hall was built in 1859 for use as a Wesleyan Chapel. In 1879 the Wesleyan congregation moved from the building to their newly built church (opened 1 July 1879) at the junction of [[Hampton Road, Teddington]] and Stanley Road (now Teddington Methodist Church). According to the Silver Jubilee (1904) history of Teddington Baptist Church, the vacant chapel was then purchased by John Cornelius Park who offered it to a Baptist congregation for £20 a year but allowed them to have it for two years at that rent when he realised they could not afford the asking price.
Teddington Baptist Church (as it is now known) used Craig Hall until 1884 when they moved to their new site at the junction of Church Road, Teddington and Walpole Crescent. On that site they erected a tin tabernacle which was opened on 30 March 1884. In 1904, Craig Hall was in use as a Police Court. In the 1911 Census it is "23 Clarence Road" and described as a "unoccupied Drill Hall".
In 1974 the Teddington Society wrote:
"yellow brick, slate roof. Building originally flat-fronted with central door and one tall Venetian window on each side. Later a vestibule was added with entrance to the left, and another entrance added later to the right using part of window area. The pediment over the front originally said WESLEYAN CHAPEL 1859; now it reads CRAIG HALL 1859; above still visible though overpainted, assize notice still to be seen. Large shed at rear currently used by Theatre Club."
Craig Hall was designated a Building of Townscape Merit in 1983 at which time it was in use as a community hall, accommodating over the years a number of activities including the Playwam playgroup (from 1969) and the occasional theatrical performance (e.g. by the Youth Action Theatre in 1977 and 1980).
Paddy Ching wrote in 1989 that it served as a court house for some time and a notice outside still directs magistrates, solicitors and prisoners to the side entrance.
In 2001, Richmond Council (which at that date owned Craig Hall) decided it was no longer needed as a community hall and decided to sell it. It was described by the Council during the planning process (2001-2003) as having been "constructed in 1859 in a classical style having mock columns, entablature and pediment." In 2004, Craig Hall was converted into two separate dwellings and the name was dropped from the front portico.
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.