Clarence Road, Teddington
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. You can view Clarence Road, Teddington on Google Maps.
Described by the Misses R. & S. Sanford of the Teddington Society in 1973 as a crescent shaped road leading from Park Road to Sandy Lane, interrupted on the South by Avenue Gardens and Avenue Road and by Victoria Road and the Railway Passage on the North. The road is pleasantly lined with horse chestnut trees. The North side of the road is part of the Park Road Conservation Area No. 22.
The initial development was on the North side of the road between Park Road and Victoria Road, part of the scheme laid out by the National Freehold Land Society who had purchased land in 1852. Their aim was to make it easier for working and middle class people to acquire freehold property so as to remove an obstacle to male enfranchisement (see also entry under Albert Road 5, "Alma Cottage").
A planning application for a new road was submitted on 23 April, 1881 (Borough Collection PLA/01823) presumably from the junction with Victoria Road up to Sandy Lane. This led to a later Victorian development with several pairs of semi-detached double-fronted villas.
The properties in this road designated by the Council on their website as Buildings of Townscape Merit are: