Broom Road, "Weir Cottage"
Road: Broom Road
Property: "Weir Cottage"
This building, in the Teddington Lock Conservation Area, is part of the Teddington Studios site, and lies between the main studio buildings and The Anglers' Hotel, on the Broom Road frontage, and is apparently used as a gate house/office, to which have been added a number of extensions (one demolished and now part of The Anglers' car park). It is not in good condition. The frontage has two gable ends; one set behind the other with a curved turret-like infill between those two sections of the building; another gable to the side elevation. It is rendered, with a tiled roof (not original) and with various sizes and types of lattice windows, a number of which are arched at first floor level, plus it has an arched doorway. The Borough's records have two photographs of the house, one called it the "Lockkeeper's Cottage" in 1995 (ref. LCF/12354) and the other calling it "Weir Cottage now used as offices" in 1999 (ref. LCF/12998). There is a planning application (ref. PLA/00841) dated 11 December 1905 for no. 5 Broom Road for conversion, Architect Ernest E. Fetch. This would suggest it was built earlier. It is an unusual and "amusing" house worthy of BTM status.
This page is part of the Directory of Buildings of Townscape Merit (BTMs) and Listed Buildings in Teddington assembled by the Planning and History Groups of The Teddington Society. Click on any photo for a higher resolution version. Copyright for the material on this page rests with the contributor.